Re: Restore from Hot Backup Question

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:43:08 +0800

Gary,

Remember you need to restore the archive logs generated from the point in time that the first database file got backed-up -- to recover the database you must have all the redo going back to the first transaction that occurred after you did the ALTER TABLESPACE <> BEGIN BACKUP.

You should not need to run the Chemstore script to create the Database -- you will be restoring the entire database. However, since this is WinNT, you will need to create the service to startup the instance, using ORADMIN.

You can restore the binary backup of the controlfile (I hope it was generated with an ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO <filename>) to both the locations specified by the init.ora parameter control_files= OR You can restore only one copy and edit the init.ora parameter before you mount the database. Both options are OK. [note if doing a non-DR recovery where you do still have the current controlfiles present on disk, you do not need to restore the backup controlfile].

As you are doing a DR recovery and do not have the current redo logs of the database you are recovering, you do not need any redo logs present on disk. You will be doing a RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE. You will then be doing an ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS which command will create the required online redo log files for you.

Hemant K Chitale