Re: Restore from Hot Backup Question

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:31:18 GMT

Gary Luck wrote:

> I'm running Oracle 7.3.4 on NT4.0SP6a(I have to run this
> configuration). I have a 15GB database with two controlfiles on
> separate disks and the DB is running in archive mode. I have written
> the standard sql script for hot backups every night to set each
> tablespace into backup mode and file copy the datafiles. I also get a
> binary and trace of the controlfile, the trace dump directory, the
> init and password files and the archive logs.
>
> On testing disaster recovery, I format the box and then rebuild the
> RAIDs, install NT and Oracle. The reason I'm running 7.3.4 is that
> Oracle is wrapped in an Agilent proprietary app called Chemstore.
> When I run the Chemstor install, it also runs a canned perl script
> that creates the DB instance. After that has been completed, I
> shutdown the database instance that was just created and stop all
> oracle services.
>
> When I restore, I simply copy all of the datafiles, binary
> controlfile, init file and archive logs dated after the date of the
> hot backup.
>
> I have tried to restore with simply my hot backup in this fashion and
> I have a few questions:
>
> Like I said, I have two controlfiles on separate disks for safety.
> When my backup script executes 'alter database backup controlfile
> 'backup dir' reuse;' it backs up a binary copy of the first
> controlfile. After I restore, I start the DB in 'startup mount' and
> it complains that the second controlfile isn't there. Can I simply
> copy the controlfile into the second location and rename it
> 'controlfile2' and then open the DB in mount, or should I edit my init
> file before I open the DB to reflect only one controlfile and then
> after recovery is done, create a second controlfile in sql?
>
> Also, since I was restoring over the newer install, the online
> redologs are ofcourse not consistent with the restored DB. Should I
> delete these new redologs before I start the DB in mount?
>
> Am I doing this wrong? Should I just rebuild my controlfile from
> trace?
>
> Could anyone give me a definitive procedure to restore from a hot
> backup?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in Advance, gary.

Gary,

  1. > Can I simply copy the controlfile into the second location and > rename it 'controlfile2'? Yes, but only in a shutdown or nomount state.
  2. > Also, since I was restoring over the newer install, the online > redologs are ofcourse not consistent with the restored DB. Should I > delete these new redologs before I start the DB in mount? Yes, kind of. If you have room, move them off to a different directory if you have any possibility of needing them again. When you perform the recovery, you will have to execute:

SVRMGR> recover database until cancel using backup controlfile;

<apply and archived redo logs>

and then

SVRMGR> alter database open resetlogs;

which will create the online redo logs, same as they were before.

hth,

Paul Received on Wed Jan 16 2002 - 08:31:18 CST