Re: Low hit ratio, but only for indexes

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:40:23 -0000

You haven't given an Oracle version, but if you are using 8.1 you can get hints into the system through the back door by using stored outlines.

use 'create stored outline = XXX'

for a while to collect stored outlines,
then transfer them to a test system
and fiddle with the init.ora parameters
and indexes using

rebuild stored outline YYY

until you get the plan you want as a stored outline, then transport the good outines back to the production environment and tell the system to 'use stored outlines'.

There are a few details to fill in, but I'm sure you get the general idea.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Now running 3-day intensive seminars

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of: