Re: how can I check if Oracle Database is online?

From: Andre van Winssen \(andrew\) <andrew_at_info.nl>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:18:02 +0100

Hi,
tnsping will only try to contact the TNS listener and check whether the instance is known to the listener. It doesn't actually connect to the database. Meaning that you might still run into errors (like database not open, invalid username/password, session limit reached etcetera) when you run your insert/update/deletes.

There's no way to guarantee that a subsequent connect will succeed. All one can say is that if a previous connect attempt made a short time ago was succesfull chances are good that your current connect attempt will also be succesfull.

Regards,
Andre van Winssen