Re: Quirky performance differences/problems between connections made by Unix client versus Windows Client

From: Mark PAtterson <m_patte_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2002 01:30:35 -0800

m_patte_at_yahoo.com (Mark PAtterson) wrote in message news:<4c08015.0201140617.6457dc3f_at_posting.google.com>...
> Stefan <sroesch3_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:<AA708.16355$Vq.110336_at_rwcrnsc53>...
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > check for what you are really waiting.
> > Set event 10046 level 8 in that session and look in the created trace file
> > for the wait event.
> >
> > It may also be worth to turn off MTS to see if the problem reproduces.
> >
> > Stefan
> >
> > Mark PAtterson wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm running Oracle 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 databases on a Solaris 8 server and
> > > am experiencing quirky performance differences between Solaris based
> > > clients and Windows based clients.
> > >
> > > In a nutshell clients running on Solaris (including sqlplus running on
> > > the database server) seem to freeze up every now and again when
> > > attempting to connect or process a select statement etc. I don't even
> > > need to be doing data modifications (hence no redo info or locking
> > > problems).
> > >
> > > However, Windows based clients never experience same symptoms and I've
> > > even found that executing a simple select statement via the Windows
> > > client (SQL*Plus) actually free up the frozen Solaris client. This
> > > "cure" can be applied and works consistently!
> > >
> > > Any ideas out there please?
> > >
> > > Additional Info: Using MTS for both Windows and Solaris based clients.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mark.
>
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Thanks to everyone else also.
> Have turned off MTS and am not experiencing the problem now. However,
> will need MTS when we go to production as there will be 100's of
> simultaneous connections.
>
> Have examined some performance stats relating to MTS but nothing
> stands out.
> Increasing the number of mts servers and dispatchers does not fully
> work either.
> Are there "rules of thumb" for configuring init.ora parameters for
> MTS? e.g. shared_pool_reserved_size and large_pool_size in relation to
> share_pool_size
>
> Any further suggestions, pointers are very welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

Hi,

just fyi...
have been talking with Oracle about this issue via Metalink and have been informed that this may in fact be a bug in the software. To remedy the problem I've upgraded to 8.1.7 and applied the 8.1.7.2 patch.
For details refer to Metalink bug number 1584600 and patchset number 1882450.
Too early yet to confirm if this has indeed fixed the problem but early indications are that it has.
Thanks all for the suggestions and help.

Mark. Received on Wed Jan 16 2002 - 03:30:35 CST