Re: how can I check if Oracle Database is online?

From: Marcin Kasperski <Marcin.Kasperski_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:20:41 +0100

Galip Topcu wrote:

> hello;
>
> I' writing a Client-Server Project; All my client need to connect
> database (in my project databse is Oracle 8.05 ) and do some updates,
> inserts or deletes operations.
>
> Before doing so type of operation I want to check if the Oracle Server
> is Online and ready for new connection ( as "Tnsping80.exe" do ).
> How may I do this?

Just try to connect to it. If you use OCI routines, in case the database is unavailable, you will get the corresponding error message. ODBC login should work too. Both of those approaches are usually performed very quickly.

> I'm using ADO for accessing database.
> ADO's time out periot is not working , when The client program try new
> connection to oracle ,It lock my program during 40 secconds if Oracle
> Database is not ready or network is off. But Tnsping is very
> successfull about that. It decide if oracle is ok or not in 1 or 2
> secconds.

I do not know ADO, so I can not comment. Either this API is too limited, or you miss something. Received on Wed Jan 16 2002 - 03:20:41 CST