Re: left outer join

From: Andre Grosse <ag17_at_inf.tu-dresden.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:11:45 +0100

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> rownum< N is not the same as top N. try a statement that has an order by
> for example.

i know, with orderBy i have to use a subselect to change the rownum/orderBy comoutation order (or something with rank()) i make that properly, but dont write here all in full detail.

i only wished to know if oracle works correctly with left outer joins, if the on-condition never is true. mssql computes it correctly in my opinion, oracle not. shouldnt get null result?!

> Toad is nice but you also have tkprof and explain plan from Oracle(comes
> with the db)

thX, will see

> Danial is correct. Seen too many MSSQL conversions and not enough thought
> about how both RDBMS's are different (concurrency and transaction models are
> very different for example, MSSQL developers often uses a lot of temp
> tables, rare to use them in Oracle development. sequences vs auto id
> fields, ref cursor etc.
> Jim

fortunately i only have to read in that database...so a lot of stuff mentioned here isnt importand for that job. (database automatically replicated from mssql with transparent gateway)

--
Andre Grosse