cloning on same machine problems...help!

From: Glen A Stromquist <stromqgl_at_nospa_alpac.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:50:31 GMT

I'm getting so I really hate cloning here, since I do it so seldomly each time a new set of problems seems to pop up that I didn't have the last time. However this is the first time I've done one on the same machine.

Here's todays scenario:

8.1.7 db running on 2000 server. Creating clone on same machine using datafiles from last online backup, will apply archived redo from prod db to get it up to date. I could also use the datafiles and online redo from last good cold backup, but decided to use the former as "practice" by restoring files from online backup instead.

#1 - log onto production database and create tracefile of controlfile.
#2 - edit said file to comment out all the trash, add a pfile=<location> to
the startup nomount line
#3 - changed REUSE to SET and NORESETLOGS to RESETLOGS and ARCHIVELOG to
NOARCHIVELOG, "DB" to DBTEST" in CREATE CONTROLFILE line
#4 - changed paths to reflect new locations for datafiles, redo logs for
clone
#5 - commented out RECOVER DATABASE line
#6 - added RESETLOGS to ALTER DATABASE OPEN line & saved file as control.sql
#7 - copied prod INIT.ora file, edited paths & dbname etc. to reflect test
db (clone)
#8 - copied datafiles from last backup to new locations
#9 - created new service in ORADIM with oradim -new -sid
dbname_test -startmode auto -pfile <location>
#10 - altered tnsnames.ora using net8 assistant to add new database
#11 - start svrmgrl - can't connect to new instance, ora-125141!
#12 - use net8 asst. again to configure listener.ora - does nothing
#13 - MANUALLY enter new sid desc into listener.ora, stop & start, ok now
#14 - set oracle_sid = newsid (did this between 7 & 8 actually)
#15 - connect to new instance ok now in svrmgrl
#16 - run control.sql, get the following:
SVRMGR> @c:\$orascripts\controlfile.sql
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area                        467453980 bytes
Fixed Size                                          75804 bytes
Variable Size                                   124481536 bytes
Database Buffers                                342818816 bytes
Redo Buffers                                        77824 bytes
CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "DBTEST" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG *
ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed
ORA-01990: error opening password file
'C:\oracle\ora81\DATABASE\PWDdbtest.ORA'

ORA-01649: operation not allowed with a backup controlfile ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS
*
ORA-01195: online backup of file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent ORA-01110: data file 1: 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\EMSTEST\SYSTEM01.DBF'

#17 - what did I miss this time???

much appreciated & thanks in advance Received on Tue Jan 15 2002 - 15:50:31 CST