Re: Small remark - Was: Backup Oracle ? Online Redo Log.

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 15 Jan 2002 07:23:09 -0800

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:<3c3f0fa7$0$8507$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...
> Actually it is far worse than that. I suspect that the consultants do know
> at least a bit about Oracle. The statement about what might be lost from the
> current redo log (should you lose all copies of it) is of course true.
> Unfortunately they don't have a clue about why you would wish to backup and
> recover in the first place.
>
> So these consultants may or may not know about a particular technical
> product - however their ability to apply thought processes to that knowledge
> and then apply them to business requirements looks suspect. This of course
> bears no resemblance to any consultants I have ever come across.

I think that these consultants know something about Oracle and even know that proposed solution is senseless. However, they want sell us their product and know that price is always important, so they need to keep budget as low as possible.
The same tactic is used regularly by car dealers with signs stating "Price from ...", although you need to pay twice to get fairly equipped car (or system with relevant backup strategy). :-) There were more funny moments, for example they wants to store all 1TB of data in one table which has no partitions and two indexes - date (that's reasonable) and system_identifier (which should be VARCHAR2(256) !!!). They've also told me that this can't be changed, because it's hard coded in product. I have no doubts about performance of this system.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.