Re: PL/SQL calling external procedures

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2002 18:13:09 -0800

In article <1011037625.323292_at_adsl.fast.net.uk>, "Jeremy says...

>Hello, I am aware of the ability to call o/s processes as an external
>procedure.
>
>What I would like to be able to do is execute a program on the server but
>initiated by pl/sql procedure - does the external procedure have to be
>written in 'c' (as I believe is the case) or could one call e.g. a shell
>script (as I am hoping but not betting on it!)
>
>thanks folks
>

>--
>Jeremy

see
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:952229840241 for another way to do it.

external procedures in C are written in C, you would have to write a small bit of C (or java as the above shows) to accomplish this.