Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition - what version of db server?

From: Bas Schulte <bschulte_at_zeelandnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:51:23 +0100

Hi all,

I'm getting terribly confused lately while trying to assemble a production-ready system based on RedHat Linux (on Intel h/w) and Oracle.

I recently downloaded "Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 3 (8.1.7.0.1) for Linux, with OPS" from
http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle8i/htdocs/linuxsoft.html, which gives me a file called 'linux81701.tar'.

This gives me version 8.1.7.0.1 of the database server, right?

I wonder: is this the same version (of the database server itself, mind you) that I get when I download Oracle 9i for Linux, or not? Is the database server that comes with 9i more recent than 8.1.7.0.1?

Then there's this issue of what version of RedHat is certified by Oracle to run what version of the database server... I really don't want to use anything but RedHat 7.2, it kinda doesn't make sense to install an older version for a system to-be-rolled-out over the next 2 to 3 months. Then again, if I can't get support from Oracle with this combo...

Can anyone point me to a page somewhere on an Oracle website with some authoritive information on certification with RedHat?

Thanks in advance,

Bas.