Re: Small remark - Was: Backup Oracle ? Online Redo Log.

From: Murali <oraclems_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2002 13:23:31 -0800

pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote in message news:<1e8276d6.0201110140.40c82f18_at_posting.google.com>...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:<3c3d744b$0$1586$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> > Without doubt, the current redo log is the
> > Achilles' heel of the entire Oracle architecture -which is why they invented
> > redo log mirroring (or, more accurately) multiplexing so that total loss of
> > the current log should be a very rare occurrence -making attempted backups
> > of it even more of a waste of time than they otherwise would be.
>
> Only small off-topic remark. Just few days back I had here two
> consultants from well known worldwide consulting company. They trying
> to sell us some new system based on Oracle database. One of my many
> comments to their design was absence of any backup strategy for this
> extremely important server. They responded me in way, which almost
> knock me out.
> There is (they've said) no need for online, offline backup or running
> in ARCHIVELOG, because when using Oracle you will always lose, in case
> of failure, data from active redo log, so everything you need are only
> daily !exports!. And that's 1TB database we're talking about. This
> perfect logic made me speechless. :-)))

If you have backups/archivelogs, you may only lose data from the current online redo log.
But if you have only exports, you'll lose everything since the last export. And you'll have to recreate the database and do a full import. So what they're saying is losing a day's worth of work and spending countless hours on the import is better than MAYBE losing half an hour's worth of data.
I'll bet it's a lot of fun importing 1TB of data. And the consultants who will do the import are paid by the hour, of course.

Murali
http://www.dbaquest.com/ Received on Mon Jan 14 2002 - 15:23:31 CST