Urgent problem on Oracle install mistery.

From: Marc Grącia <mgracia_at_oasyssoft.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2002 08:23:09 -0800

I'm trying to install an Oracle 8.1.7 on a Solaris 8 system (Don't know exactly which, one of theese slim rackmounted, i don't have the information now but can be obtained). The fact is I can't start the installer, well, it starts, but gets hanged without any kind of error. It showns the splash screen with "Loading..." and gets hanged (Normally it appears only a few seconds until a image appears).

I do the installation using a Linux Workstation as X display. ( I tested a couple of X programs and it showed OK) because this kind of machines have no graphic console..
First i tried to install Oracle 8.1.5, and it did the same but without showing any splash screen, just hanged. Searching for this kind of errors on google, a lot of people seems to complain with version 8.1.5, so i download 8.1.7 and it keeps doing the same (well, at least it shows something).
The Solaris guy said the machine has all the recommended patches installed, and I have all the environment variables, users and permissions setted ( At least the same of the other times i installed oracle on HP, Solaris or Linux systems)
The only time I had a problem like this, was with Linux RedHat systems, and the problem was the LD_ASSUME... flag and unset the LANG env. But this have no point on a Solaris.

I suspect:
A) A kind of incompatibility with the system or Solaris version and the java Oracle puts in the distribution. B) Some silly point I totally missed. But all the steps in the installation procedure are OK...
C) Some problem with remote X display ( xeyes and xterm worked...) ?

I ask:
A) Can I force the installation with other version of java, just to try it out?

B) May the solaris installed version of java have any role in the problem?

C) Someone have any clue on this?

It's a little urgent... I spent two days of impotence with this... :)

-Marc Gracia- Received on Mon Jan 14 2002 - 10:23:09 CST