Re: Backup Oracle ? Online Redo Log.

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:31:53 +0800

Han,

Yes, you can use Hot Backups to recover from. However, 'Hot Backup' means in the sense Oracle allows you to take a hot backup --- not just copying the file with an OS command.
You issue an
ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespacename> BEGIN BACKUP; before you start copying the files _of_that_tablespace_! with an OS command ("copy", "cp", "dd", "tar", ... whatever and an
ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespacename> END BACKUP;

You had better read up on the Backup and Recovery procedures well. You could also use Oracle RMAN to do your Hot Backups.

Hemant K Chitale