Re: Backup Oracle ? Online Redo Log.

From: Han Thomas <han_at_royal.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:02:34 GMT

On 13 Jan 2002 18:13:49 -0800, in comp.databases.oracle.server you wrote:

>> >1) Restore of my hot backup of the night ( DATAFILES )
>>
>> Hold on, can you do that? I thought you needed cold backup files to start
>> with, then apply the archived log files??
>
>Yes, you can. No, you dont. Why cant you restore from hot backup and
>apply the archived logfiles ? What is the point of a hot backup if you
>always need a cold backup to start with.

Well I thought you kept one cold set and just keep storing redo-logfiles forever. Then if your server crashes a year later you'd have to apply one year of redo logs. So that isn't the case I guess.. And you can use regular operating system commands to do the hot backup? A regular copy of all the datafiles?

Then I understand the control files only have to be backed up after structural changes are made to the database, such as adding or removing tablespaces and datafiles?

Thansk a lot!
Han. Received on Mon Jan 14 2002 - 08:02:34 CST