Re: Linking problems installing Oracle9i on HP-UX 11i

From: Rakesh Vidyadharan <rakesh_at_rakeshv.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:45:14 -0600

Rakesh Vidyadharan wrote:

> I am trying to install Oracle9i on a HP C240 running HP-UX 11i
> (nothing but the base operating system). The Oracle install documents
> describe installation on HP-UX 11.0, and all the required patches seem
> to be not applicable to HP-UX 11i (already taken care of, I assume).
> I followed all the other pre-installation steps, and got going with
> the install process. The problems start appearing during the "Linking
> Oracle9i Database 9.0.1.0.0" phase, after about 62% of the process is
> done.
>
> Here is a sample error message in the log file
>
> Calling action unixAction2.0.1.4.0 make
> installMakePath = /bin/make
> installMakeFileName =
> /oracle/app/product/9.0.1/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk
> installTarget = install
> undoMakeFileName =
> installArguments = ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/app/product/9.0.1,
> logFile = /oracle/app/product/9.0.1/install/make.log
> undoTarget =
>
> Exception thrown from action: make
> Exception Name: MakefileException
> Exception String: Error in invoking target install of makefile
> /oracle/app/product/9.0.1/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk
>
> The logFile shows essentially the following error:
>
> ld: Unsatisfied symbol "gethrtime" in file
> /oracle/app/product/9.0.1/lib/ilbpls9.a[pbp.o]
>
> I do not have the HP-UX compiler suite, and the cc that is used is
> default cc compiler that is installed under /usr/ccs/bin. I tried
> making /usr/cc/bin link to gcc, but that did not have any positive
> effect.
>
> Any ideas on where the "gethrtime" is supposed to come from. I assume
> it is an issue with my SHLIB_PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH(?), both of which
> were set as per the installation instructions.
>
> Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions.
> Rakesh

After looking around a bit in the HP support site for HP-UX, I found the patches that were required (the ones that had gethrtime) for HP-UX 11i. The patches are PHCO_24402 and PHCO_25452. These are the replacements for the patches PHCO_23770 and PHCO_23092 that are needed for HP-UX 11.0 (and are mentioned in the Oracle installation document) that Stefan pointed out in the previous posting.

Thanks to everyone for your responses that got me going in the right direction.

Rakesh Received on Sun Jan 13 2002 - 12:45:14 CST