Re: DAO & Oracle stored proceddures

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:16:29 GMT

At one company the customers were asked if we switched the MSSQLServer would that be a positive benefit. Of the over 600 large sites that we were installed at not one saw it as a positive benefit and the majority said they would look for another vendor. (We were running Oracle and it was included with the product, so in either event they would not have to purchase the database product.) At every other company (except 1) there was the same "database portability" issue , but of course due to time constraints etc. things were never ported to another RDBMS or even tried on another RDBMS. At the one company where we actually did do and use database portability one set of developers created tools etc. and the application developers used the existing API. They created a driver layer and wrote directly to the native API of the database. Why didn't they use ODBC? ODBC did not exist when they were writing these client/server MS windows (client side) applications. Unfortuneately, there were performance limitations and so to get around those the tool developers had to expose more of the individual RDBMS functionality in some cases. Then people did the equivalent of ifdef . What was interesting is that not one of the customers that these applications were developed for ever changed databases once they had chosen one.

But let's take the database question off the table and change the database portability and change it to C/C++ compiler portability. Same issue, but people don't seem overly concerned about that. If you want to switch to a better compiler ouch. For example, you want to use Intel's new compiler )supports their newest 64 bit chip, has some neat performance features), you are limited as to which compilers you can easily do that from. Same issue.

People buy things because of their differences whatever they may be. Those differences might be price, functionality, vendor support, rumors, comfort level, etc. Doesn't make sense to buy something and not use the useful features that you paid for.

Jim