Re: Linking problems installing Oracle9i on HP-UX 11i

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 06:54:56 GMT

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:16:51 -0500, Rakesh Vidyadharan wrote:

> Sybrand Bakker wrote:

>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 09:45:08 -0600, Rakesh Vidyadharan
>> <rakesh_at_rakeshv.org> wrote:
>>
>> >I am trying to install Oracle9i on a HP C240 running HP-UX 11i (nothing
>> >but the base operating system). The Oracle install documents describe
>> >installation on HP-UX 11.0, and all the required patches seem to be not
>> >applicable to HP-UX 11i (already taken care of, I assume). I followed
>> >all the other pre-installation steps, and got going with the install
>> >process. The problems start appearing during the "Linking Oracle9i
>> >Database 9.0.1.0.0" phase, after about 62% of the process is done.
>> >
>> >Here is a sample error message in the log file
>> >
>> >Calling action unixAction2.0.1.4.0 make
>> > installMakePath = /bin/make
>> > installMakeFileName =
>> >/oracle/app/product/9.0.1/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk
>> > installTarget = install
>> > undoMakeFileName =
>> > installArguments = ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/app/product/9.0.1,
>> > logFile = /oracle/app/product/9.0.1/install/make.log undoTarget
>> > =
>> >
>> >Exception thrown from action: make
>> >Exception Name: MakefileException
>> >Exception String: Error in invoking target install of makefile
>> >/oracle/app/product/9.0.1/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk
>> >
>> >The logFile shows essentially the following error:
>> >
>> >ld: Unsatisfied symbol "gethrtime" in file
>> >/oracle/app/product/9.0.1/lib/ilbpls9.a[pbp.o]
>> >
>> >I do not have the HP-UX compiler suite, and the cc that is used is
>> >default cc compiler that is installed under /usr/ccs/bin. I tried
>> >making /usr/cc/bin link to gcc, but that did not have any positive
>> >effect.
>> >
>> >Any ideas on where the "gethrtime" is supposed to come from. I assume
>> >it is an issue with my SHLIB_PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH(?), both of which
>> >were set as per the installation instructions.
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions. Rakesh
>>
>> If it is a HP-UX routine, it would of course appear in the man pages.
>
> man did not return anything for "gethrtime".  Snooping around on google
> seems to indicate that it usually is part of sys/time.h, which seems to
> be the case with Solaris.  Grepping for gethrtime under /usr/include (or
> /opt/gcc/include) does not return anything.
>
> Rakesh

GETHRTIME = Get High Resouliton Timer. I see that you are using GCC which does not have that library. To have high resolution timer calls & libs, you need HP's own C compiler (ANSII, not the K&R one which comes with the OS). Someone will have to sign a check. Carly will definitely appreciate that.

--
Mladen Gogala