Re: Optimal Initialization Parameters

From: Ganesh Raja <ganesh_at_gtfs-gulf.com>
Date: 12 Jan 2002 00:28:31 -0800

"Jack Dawson" <srik_at_cnet.com> wrote in message news:<a1ns4l$bh4$1_at_innbox.cnet.com>...
> Isn't 160 MB no good? Oracle Docs say 128 MB is good enough!!!! I am talking
> about 8.1.6 database and not 9i

Yes we are also Talking about 8i...

Just Think about the Number of programs that will be running on u;r machine... If u are Thinking about a test Db which u will only connect to and u'r Not going to Use java on the Db then 160 MB with a 10% of it for SGA is Good Enoug... But If u plan to use java and all then u will be royally screwed when u open other applications... U will not feel like working on that machine... Blv me ... I talk out of Experience !!!!

> Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Ian Terence Botham wrote:
> > >
> > > I just installed a new Oracle 8.1.6 database for my development env.
> > > I would like to know the optimal initialization parameters that would
> > > be fit enough even if my database expands a bit. I would be storing
> > > day-to-transactions and the orders which increases gradually.
> > >
> > > I have a 160 MB RAM.
> > >
> > > How much should the SGA be?
> > > What size should the shared pool, Log buffer, Data Buffer?
> > >
> > > Which size should be more than the otehr,, for an optimal perfomance?
> > >
> > > Any ideas are well appreciated...
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Botham
> >
> > Probably first thing would be to jump down to www.crucial.com and pick
> > up another 256M to take you to something feasible to work with.
> >
> > Then (for a very rough rule of thumb), look at giving 25-50% of that to
> > your SGA.
> >
> > hth
> > connor
> > --
> > Connor McDonald
> >
> > http://www.oracledba.co.uk
> >
> > "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue..."

Regards,
Ganesh R Received on Sat Jan 12 2002 - 02:28:31 CST