Re: Small remark - Was: Backup Oracle ? Online Redo Log.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Jan 2002 13:41:57 -0800

pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote in message news:<1e8276d6.0201110140.40c82f18_at_posting.google.com>...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:<3c3d744b$0$1586$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> > Without doubt, the current redo log is the
> > Achilles' heel of the entire Oracle architecture -which is why they invented
> > redo log mirroring (or, more accurately) multiplexing so that total loss of
> > the current log should be a very rare occurrence -making attempted backups
> > of it even more of a waste of time than they otherwise would be.
>
> Only small off-topic remark. Just few days back I had here two
> consultants from well known worldwide consulting company. They trying
> to sell us some new system based on Oracle database. One of my many
> comments to their design was absence of any backup strategy for this
> extremely important server. They responded me in way, which almost
> knock me out.
> There is (they've said) no need for online, offline backup or running
> in ARCHIVELOG, because when using Oracle you will always lose, in case
> of failure, data from active redo log, so everything you need are only
> daily !exports!. And that's 1TB database we're talking about. This
> perfect logic made me speechless. :-)))

That would make almost perfect sense if your redo's are so big (or transactions are so small) they only switch once a day! :-)

More likely, they misinterpreted initial load instructions or what their support department does for daily operational instructions. If they had any brains, they should have said "we can sell you plenty of consultant time to work with your DBA staff to come up with a solution." But they probably have Microsoft experience.

> --
>
> Dusan Bolek, Ing.
> Oracle team leader
>
> Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
> can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
> this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
> proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
> email.

jg

--
And of course, @home.com is becomming @cox.net.  The email addressing