Re: Win 2000 / Oracle

From: Chris Leonard <chris_at_databaseguy.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:02:49 -0600

I totally agree with Lionel, so I've nothing to add to what he said. But I wanted to run a sanity check, since you're a Solaris guy: it's not possible that you have a Windows 2000 PDC but do not have DNS. The Active Directory installation (dcpromo.exe) requires an available DNS server that supports SRV records. When a member machine logs on, or when a user logs on to the domain, DNS is used to find the PDC so that the machine/user can authenticate.

You probably know this; even if you don't, it may not bite you. I just thought it might be worth a quick post just to fend off any possible confusion if you wind up needing to start debugging name resolution or domain authentication.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris Leonard
MCSE, MCDBA, MCT, OCP, CIW