Re: Backup Oracle ? Online Redo Log.

From: John Darrah <jdarrah_at_veripost.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:35:34 +0000 (UTC)

You seem determined to back up your online redo despite the fact that two experts (Howard and Thomas) have both ademently advised against it. If you can find ANY published book regarding Oracle backup and recovery which states that it is good practice to include online redo in a hotbackup I will be shocked. Saying "I backed up my online redo and was able to recover with it, so it must be a sound practice" is like saying "I ran into traffic and didn't get killed so it must be safe". Even if you could backup your online redo, how often do you back it up? Its a live file and on a busy system it is always being written to. Are you going to take a copy of that file every second? You'll still lose data. If it is absolutely unacceptable for your application to lose even one transaction, then you need to investigate Oracle 9i Data Guard, EMC array replication or one of the other expensive solutions designed for zero data loss.