Re: Finding database link connection origin

From: <n.a.ekern_at_usit.uio.no>
Date: 11 Jan 2002 16:22:11 GMT

Sybrand,

Thank you for your tip on v$session_connect_info. It seemed promising, but unfortunately it just shows something like:

        18 DATABASE osusername
TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for HPUX: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Development

My main reason to check what database is connecting is:

The database link connections are connecting with special usernames, DB2 will have a user DB2_LINK, DB3 will have a user DB3_LINK etc My concern is:
The database link is created in the foreign databases, with password stored in tha database. If the company running DB3 clones it to a DB3_DEMO, and then runs DB3_DEMO on the same database server, I would like to deny the DB3_LINK user to connect if it is trying to connect from a database other than the DB3 database.

Why do it from inside the DB1 server? I don't know, but it seems reasonable to me. That is where the DB3_LINK user is managed.

Is it possible to specify somewhere in the network to allow connections from that server only if it is coming from the DB3 database? That would (from my point of view) be second best.

Regards,
Njål Ekern
naekern_at_hotmail.com
n.a.ekern_at_usit.uio.no

>I am wondering, if a database DB1 is accessed over a database link, is
>there any way to find out the following:
>
>The database from which the database link connection is coming from.
>
>If there is, I am planning on having a logon trigger logging this, and
>maybe deny the logon.

You could try v$session_connect_info.
However I have the feeling this is a more or less absurd situation: in a properly designed distributed database you would know where the link was coming from, wouldn't you?
Doesn't this imply you can't exercise any control over your distributed databases, if you need to resort to such measures and even potentially deny the logon?

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Jan 11 2002 - 10:22:11 CST