Re: Dead-lock...

From: Bass Chorng <bchorng_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2002 11:33:08 -0800

news_at_info-line.it (andy) wrote in message news:<3c3db119.25524051_at_news.cis.dfn.de>...
> On Oracle 8.0.6 installed on a IBM AIX server with parallel server
> option, sometimes i can see a strange thing. All the applications
> running go in a wait-state, without error message.
> From an sql editor if i try to CREATE TABLE... i wait, i
> wait...nothing happens.
> The only way to restore normal condition is to restart the Oracle
> instance.
> Note that in the applications there are some Delphi DDL commands that
> manipulate Oracle tables.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Best regards. Andy.

Just for clarification, this is not called dead lock. A dead lock situation would be resolved by Oracle automatically. Dead lock involves 2 sessions each wanting to update the other session's row, which is in lock, to complete its own update, therefor both sessions can not move further.

Oracle would give you an ORA-00060 error and kick both sessions out and moves on. No session will wait.

Your situation is just a session wait issue. Most likely enqueue wait. By bouncing the database, you are merely rolling back the locker. Other people have posted very detailed response on it, so I would not repeat it here.

Regards. Received on Thu Jan 10 2002 - 13:33:08 CST