Re: Rman vs. Manual Hot Backups

From: John Darrah <jdarrah_at_veripost.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:46:12 +0000 (UTC)

Howard,

I have a question mabey you can answer. If I am using a controlfile to keep my backup records in RMAN and I have a total failure, is there any way to recatalog the archivelog backup pieces into the backup controlfile? Currently, every
time I do a backup I backup the controlfile using the "backup controlfile to <filename>" command and then tar the controlfile to tape. I do this in case I ever have a total failure so I could use the backuped controlfile to restore the rest of my files via rman. I think 9i has improved RMAN so that it can find the most recent version of the controlfile by itself. Where my stategy and the 9i strategy sort of fall apart is with archive logs. If I have a total failure and I restore my controlfile from tape, it will have the information regarding the latest backup, but not the archivelogs that were backed up since the last database backup. The only choice I see for either 8i or 9i is to backup the controlfile to tape after each archivelog backup. This seems like somewhat of a waste of resources. Rather than do this, is it possible to recatalog the archive log pieces into the controlfile?