Re: Why SAP, PeopleSoft, Siebels Move from Oracle to DB2 ?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:39:25 GMT

Serge Rielau doodled thusly:

>>>They also have changed or are in process of changing their primary development
>>>platform from Oracle to DB2.
>>really? says who?
>Siebel

you're right. found it: that was announced 19 april 1999.

>Externally Siebel has gone from virtualy no DB2 to about a third DB2 for NEW Siebel
>licences since the alliance started. This is not a marketing message. That's a fact.
>Sure one third is not the majority yet but not bad for a young alliance.

from the numbers in Siebel's own web site, it's not a third. much less than that. very bad for an "alliance" that's been in place since 19 april 1999. it's not something exactly brilliantly "new"...

>Can you specify which IBM marketing claim was a lie and far from reality?

oh boy! with their s/w products, do you want me to start when? 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's?

OK, I'll do a recent one:
that DB2 is the same product across their OS and hardware range. it's not. it never was. it never will be.

>(I want to see Mark T. asking that question for Oracle in c.d.i-db2. That'd be fun.)

sorry, non-sequitur. dunno who he is and don't follow that NG, not interested. as I said b4, couldn't care less what is said there.

>Compared to the "IBM runs SAP slower" compain, which likely earn Oracle yet another
>entry in SAP's Publications Violations blacklist I posted below (not that they care,
>of course) IBM's DB2 marketing is outright humble.

you're quite right there.
wouldn't surprise me if in another two or three years of false claims for db2's "market share", Gerstner&Co don't do an "OS2" on it and simply drop the thing once and for all.

it's not the $$$-spinner for IBM that a lot of people in that NG think it is. Gerstner&Co like spinners...
pity if it ever does go the way of OS2, though!

>If they have managed to make DB2 "ubiquiteous" they did their job and deserve a raise
>:-)

you reckon? I think they need some tar and feathers. not the only ones either, IT in general needs a lot more of that... ;-)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Jan 10 2002 - 03:39:25 CST