Re: Encryption of value in a field

From: Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 19:37:09 GMT

For better security, I would suggest you 'digest' the password using dbms_obfuscation_toolkit.md5. When you need to test whether a password is valid or not, just digest the presented password and compare it to the previous digest value. For even better security, generate a random 'salt' string to concatenate to the password before you digest it; then store the salt and the digested password together. You don't need to encrypt the salt. It's purpose is just to make 'dictionary attacks' much more difficult if someone gets access to the digested passwords.

Richard