Re: sizing buffer cache from "scratch"?

From: Fredrik <nospam_at_allowed.localhost>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 20:06:45 +0100

answers imbedded below...

"Svend Jensen" <Master_at_OracleCare.Com> wrote in message news:3C3B5493.5060209_at_OracleCare.Com...
> Fredrik wrote:
>
> > Hi group!
> >
> > If we want to take a more scientific approach - just boldly chosing
> > round figure and watch hit ratio seems somewhat too random... How
would
> > you go about when trying to find/estimate a reasonable number of
buffers
> > for the db block buffer cache? Is there some "well-practiced" route
> > identify those bound to be most used blocks?
(snipped)

> Hi Fredrik
>
> You are asking a general question about a 'general' system without
> telling anything (mem-size, no. cpu's and type....), an 'general'
> application without number of expected users, type etc.

Exactly! I was trying to aim it in that way.

Other than a throw of the dice and watching hit ratio, how would you go about when trying to work out a reasonable setting for db_block_buffers? You will need to find some sort of "working set size" that covers most reoccurring block reads (if application is bent that way)... But what aspects should be taken in consideration? Why doesn't Oracle have a command to enable access-count on database blocks.

> So if I could give you the figures - just like that - I can also
predict
> the future and make gold.

:-) I wasn't expecting a figure, or anything like "the answer is x". Just trying to get a discussion started here...

Regards
Fredrik