Re: ocp study materials

From: Chris Boyle <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:05:59 -0500

I found ¾ of the Sybex manuals to be very useful. The back up and recovery volume left a lot to be desired but the others were very good IMHO. If you can get a copy of the oracle class books by all means do so. I found the exam questions seemed to be taken directly from them. The Selftestsoftware practice test will also be of great benefit to you in your studies. I wish I had looked at Howard's site before I took my exams, he covers some areas better than the books I was using. Of course the best way to do this is to install oracle on a play machine, read the documentation to find out why your installation is not working, remove it and reinstall it following the documentation this time and practice with that. (Unfortunately for many if not most people this is the typical order that things happen. Myself included. It turns out that Oracle is much more complex to work with than the typical " I'll just throw it on and it will work " type of application that most people are used to.) Read though the documentation that is provided by oracle and you will learn a lot. The newsgroups are available when you run into problems. Everyone here is willing to help if you have made an effort to find out the answer on your own first but don't be surprised when you get roasted if you ask a question that is easily answered in the documentation (i.e. What are the default passwords for the sys and system accounts) or you neglect to specify your version and platform. (Once again, learned the hard way).

Good luck.