Re: Multi-Block read count

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2002 06:31:54 -0800

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message news:<E2F6A70FE45242488C865C3BC1245DA77D5FF9_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk>...
> Morning all,
>
> my first question of 2002 ...
>
> Quote from Guy Harrison in Oracle SQL High-Performance Tuning :
>
> "On Windows NT/Win2k the maximum number of blocks that can be read
> cannot exceed 128K for 32 bit versions,
> On most versions of Unix when the I/O is through a filesystem, no more
> than 8K can be read in one physical I/O,
> On Unix when the datafiles are locvated on raw devices, the maximum I/O
> rate varies from 64K (earlier versions of Solaris) to 1MB (latest
> version of HP-UX."
>
> So the question I have is, how do I find out what the maximum number of
> Oracle blocks that I can read in one single OS I/O read is ?
>
> Regards,
> Norman.

Norman, hopefully someone who has already sought this information out will reply but if not part of the installation process usually references you to an online document that contains platform specific information. That might be a good place to try looking along with any platform specific documentation delivered with the install disk for your system. After that I think you could try the metalink forum followed by an iTAR.

I be interested to see the response so hopefully someone will post it here.