Re: Is an Intentional Incomplete Backup Recoverable?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:26:30 +1100

Without thinking through all the gory details, I can't be *absolutely* sure that what you want can be done, but I'm *fairly* sure it's possible.

If you only backup, say, 2 data files from a 10 data file database, and then one of the backed up data files goes doolally, then you can simply restore that one file, offline drop everything which wasn't included in the backup, and perform recovery as normal. You need to be backing up SYSTEM, of course, otherwise you'll be royally stuffed whatever you try. If it's one of the non-backed up datafiles that goes pear-shaped, you can simply offline the relevant file(s) without even performing recovery.

You need to test this, though, thoroughly to make sure it really does do what you need it to do.

Regards