Re: Rman vs. Manual Hot Backups

From: John Darrah <jdarrah_at_veripost.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 23:41:15 +0000 (UTC)

RMAN has serval features that make it attractive. It is the only backup system that has Oracle Supported incremental block level backups, it does not require the tablespaces to be put into backup mode, and its relatively to automate. As far as expiring backups goes, this isn't really that big of deal and even that is automated in 9i. If your trying to decide between RMAN and homegrown scripts, I'd lean towards RMAN unless you are really determined to re-invent the wheel. If the choice is between RMAN and some other comercial backup product, you'll have to do a side by side comparison of both. If it were me making the decision, I'd have to have a very a compelling reason not to use RMAN because there is something inherintly comforting about using a backup utility written by the same folks that wrote the RDBMS software.