Re: Oracle and the Windows Event Viewer

From: Alan Pollard <alanpollard_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Jan 2002 08:35:48 -0800

Sorry...forgot version info. We're running 8.1.7 on Windows 2000, but developing the new features under 9i. Our application is written in PL/SQL. The type of information is application specific trace data that gets stored in a user table - for example a record would get written to this table in a PL/SQL exception handler when an unexpected condition occurs.

If this information could be presented through the Event Viewer, it's available to users who do not know SQL*Plus. However, I can't see anyway of doing this from Oracle easily; some options I can think of are:

  1. As you suggest, write a standalone Windows executable, running as a service, which periodically connects to the database and dumps any relevant rows from the table to the Event Viewer using presumably ADO and the relevant MS API.
  2. DBMS_PIPE to a Pro*C client - I'd be confident of doing this in UNIX, but lack confidence in doing so in Windows, though if told it can be done could try.
  3. (have minimal knowledge of this, but maybe...) Use Java and call it from PL/SQL (I have no idea of the support or Java classes needed to access the Event Viewer)
  4. er...
  5. that's it for my ideas, so any thoughts would be very welcome...including "you must be kidding", 'cos at least then I know I can't do it!