Re: My 8i afedit.buf doesn't work

From: Chris Leonard <chris_at_databaseguy.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:06:59 -0600

Begin unsolicited advice - I'm assuming you're not just trolling for flames here, and I certainly do not intend to start a flame burst. But just because you are more comfortable with MySQL than with Oracle doesn't make it the best choice for your company. The database world is one where you'll do well to have more than one hammer in your toolbox - a lot of people would be happy to have the opportunity to learn a different product - one that is admittedly more complex than MySQL, but is also plenty marketable. Also, when asking a community for help on its main product, you might consider not trash-talking the product when you post. End unsolicited advice.

As for your question: I don't know why you are having the problems you mention, but as a sanity check, the name of the file is afiedt.buf, not afedit.buf. At least that's what it is if you have not changed the SQL*Plus environment variable editfile. You have typed this wrong two times (once in the subject, and once in the text of your post). Maybe it's just a typo, but since this kind of question is most likely a newbie post, you should make sure you are not specifying an incorrect file name when exiting vi. You shouldn't have to specify any file name, btw, as SQL*Plus will save to afiedt.buf automatically.

Forgive the sermon / hope this helps,
Chris

Chris Leonard
MCSE, MCDBA, MCT, OCP, CIW