Re: STAND-BY Database with different DB_NAME ?

From: Patrick <buckeye234_at_excite.com>
Date: 7 Jan 2002 06:44:31 -0800

marwansamara_at_msn.com (Marwan Samra) wrote in message news:<70d9d132.0201061808.52d90d74_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have 2 databases with the following characteristics:
> 1. The DB_NAME is different (A & B).
> 2. The TableSpaces are NOT exactly the same. (B has less tablespaces,
> they are not needed in in database B)
> 3. I want to keep the rest of the tables in sync.
> The question I have:
> What is the best and simple way to accomplish the above (#3)?
> I Thought of the STAND-BY option, but the more I read about it, the
> less I think it would benefit me in this case !
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> Marwan Samara.

You don't say if B is for fail-over, just a back-up copy, or if you want it available for processing. In any case, look at Advanced Replication or just use Materialized Views. Set-up can be a bother, but usually requires little maintenance. Either option will keep the tables in sync, based upon the refresh interval you define. You can also use B for processing. Read-only access of B is easiest, but you can make it updateable. Be careful though, if both A and B are updateable, at the same time, you must concern yourself with Conflict Detection and Resolution.

HTH,
Patrick Received on Mon Jan 07 2002 - 08:44:31 CST