ORA-03114 - 8.1.7 Install on Solaris

From: John O'Grady <jdogrady_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Jan 2002 01:43:08 -0800

This is a subject which has been much discussed on this forum, but I'm at my wits end, so any help would be appreciated!

When Installling Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris all goes well until the DB Assistant starts the creation and initialization of the sample database. At this stage a dialog box pops up saying ORA-03114 - Not connected to Oracle. From looking at the scrips that are used, as well as the log files, I see that DB assist kicks off svrmgrl, connects internally as oracle, and then tries to start up the Database with the following command:

startup nomount pfile = "/disk1/oracle/admin/$SID/pfile/init$SID.ora

where $SID is the oracle SID of the database in question.

At this stage an error is generated, namely:

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

Any susequent operations tried by the databse assistant in initializing this database result in a ORA-03114 error.

I tried to trace the source of the problem by tweaking the init$ID.ora file and I found that the line "processes = 150 " was causing the problem. If this line was commented out, I could start svrmgrl, execute the startup command without any apparent problem. If any value for processes was contained in init$ID.ora, the ORA-3113 error was encountered.

The values in the /etc/system are as follows:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
set shmsys:shminfo_semmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_semmsl=160
set shmsys:shminfo_semmns=310
set shmsys:shminfo_semopm=100
set shmsys:shminfo_semvmx=32767

Does anyone have any idea what the problem (or more importantly, the solution) might be?

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated!!

John. Received on Mon Jan 07 2002 - 03:43:08 CST