Character set conversion to UTF8 from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8

From: shaildisco <shailesh.mishra_at_ways.com>
Date: 6 Jan 2002 22:09:59 -0800

Hi

We r trying to change database character set from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8 on windows NT having oracle 8.0.4.
We have tried all ways as mentioned in oracle docs as well as Metalink.But getting the error that UTF8 is not the superset.

Please can u confirm that

1.Weather is it possible to change from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8 using Alter database command. (Server side). We are getting error that target is not superset.

2. If not then is it necessary to create db in US7ASCII to later chang to UTF8.
3. If yes then does it have any relation with Windos NT or Unix OS supported character sets.

Thanks in advance

Shailesh Mishra Received on Mon Jan 07 2002 - 00:09:59 CST