Object Relational Feature of Oracle 8i

From: Tapas Guha <tguha_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 19:34:38 -0800

Recently I took the opportunity to explore the Oracle 8i User Defined Datatype and object relational Database Feature.

But at this point, I am little confuse, so please help me to understand this feature.

If I am want to define a object table and store data then first of all i have to define a object type and then create a table based on that type.

If what i said above is correct then, What user is gaining over defining a type first rather than defining directly the table ? I can understand that type define helps use the same type several times. But as far as the object relational database goes i don't understand the benefit. If anybody can explain please do so.

how do I insert data into a table where
table structure is like this

Salesperson_id Number
Customer cust_obj

where cust_obj is consists of several defined attributes using different built in data types.

Thanx in advance for ur help.

Cheers Received on Sun Jan 06 2002 - 21:34:38 CST