Re: Oracle database server bhind filtering firewall

From: Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 00:43:03 +0100

On 4 Jan 2002 01:24:54 -0800, marcco.lucky_at_laposte.net (Marcco) wrote:

>marcco.lucky_at_laposte.net (Marcco) wrote in message news:<9f59e0a.0112200828.106379cc_at_posting.google.com>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> My database (in LAN) and webserver (in DMZ) are separated
>> by filtering based firewall (CISCO Routeur).
>> ACL's are set on this firewall to allow Net8
>> connexion between client and server on 1521 port.
>> Question: is this is secure?
>> Is opening only 1521 port between client and server
>> means that all communication will use that port?
>> I'm learning elsewhere sombody telling that do not means
>> oracle server do not spans processes and response on that port.
>> This my causes contention.
>>
>> I'm confuse on what happen exactly under there situation. Can
>> you explain, or give doc, any things?
>>
>> Thanks for any helps
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm still wondering for help on the above question.
>
>Note, I'm using HP-UX 11.0
>
>Thanks

No, in a normal situation the data returned will use a different port. There are various ways circumvent this

- use the product as recommended by danishment (which I don't know)
- use Oracle Connection Manager (comes with standard sqlnet)
- configure Multithreaded Server for the instance
- use use_shared_sockets = true

Metalink has several in-depth articles discussing the firewall issue, and it is also discussed in the Oracle Connection Manager docs, to be found in the Net8 Administrators Manual.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Jan 04 2002 - 17:43:03 CST