Re: help:dbms_stats vs. analyze

From: Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 23:02:04 +0100

On Fri, 04 Jan 2002 12:44:25 GMT, "a" <dbadba62_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>We have a scripts which will run every night to compare the num_rows in
>dba_table with the count(*) of the target tables, if not equal, we will
>analyze the table.
>
>Is there any advantage to switch to dbms_stats in terms of analyze results?
>
>Thanks for your help

Oracle claims the dbms_stats results are more accurate and analyze is supported for backwards compatibility only. When you use dbms_stats in a proper fashion it is also very easy to revert to 'old' statistics, if the newer statistics result in changed execution plans.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Jan 04 2002 - 16:02:04 CST