Re: help needed on ORA-01653: unable to extend table

From: humble_one <rastapoppolous_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Jan 2002 10:59:23 -0800

Hi Chris,
thanks for responding to my post.
I think the tablespace which i am working on is (permanent) Dictionary-Managed, beacuse when i query the user_tablespaces i get for my tablespace.
INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT MAX_EXTENTS PCT_INCREASE EXTENT_MAN -------------- ----------- ----------- ------------ ----------

        131072 131072 4096 1 DICTIONARY The oracle manual that i read
http://www.is.mcgill.ca/oracle.817/server.817/a76956/tspaces.htm#9994 states that to alter table space names a typical command would on the lines of
ALTER TABLESPACE users

    DEFAULT STORAGE (

       NEXT 100K
       MAXEXTENTS 20
       PCTINCREASE 0);

and whant chris specified
ALTER TABLESPACE <YOUR_TABLESPACE_NAME_HERE> ADD DATAFILE '<YOUR_NEW_DATAFILE_NAME_HERE>' SIZE <YYY> M

is listed under the section "Locally Managed Temporary Tablespace".

Which approach should i follow.
I have another question in this regard, if i were to increase the size of next and maxextents would oracle automatically take care of extensions when the data is updated in large chunks.

Kindly excuse my naivete, as i am very new to this. Thank you once again
Karthik