Re: Multiple databases in one instance

From: Chris Vowles <chris_vowlesREMOVE_at_REMOVEhotmail.REMOVEcom>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 15:19:33 GMT

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:46:28 +0000 (UTC), "Tim Shute" <tshute_at_nisoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>We need to put multiple, separate 'sets' of data into one instance, each set of
>data owned by a different schema. This is to run on a centralised database
>server on a central server to clients around the globe.
>
>I intend to allow different users access to only one of the sets of data by
>granting them rights individually (each user works at a different client site).

If I have understood your requirements correctly how about doing the following ...

Multiple sets of data in One Instance.

For example consider a EUROPE and a USA set of data in the same instance.

Create two tablespaces called EUROPE and USA

Create two users called EUROPE and USA

The user EUROPE has a default tablespace of EUROPE, a temporary Tablespace of TEMP, quota unlimited on EUROPE and TEMP if you require, then grant user EUROPE connect priviledge

The user USA has a default tablespace of USA, a temporary Tablespace of TEMP, quota unlimited on USA and TEMP if you require, then grant user USA connect priviledge

To create objects in the EUROPE Schema, connect as user EUROPE

To create objects in the USA Schema, connect as user USA

Keeping them in seperate tablespaces seems nice and tidy to me.

Chris

Regards,

Chris