Re: Calculate Memory Parameters

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 3 Jan 2002 04:18:59 -0800

"Martin Schenk" <martin.schenk_at_nospam.sbs.at> wrote in message news:<a112vd$on7$1_at_news.siemens.at>...
> Hi there!
>
> Anyone knows how to calculate the memory parameters for an oracle instance.
> I already know the number of concurrent users (dedicated server) and the
> physical RAM size and various other parameters.
> Is there a nce formula for calculating the memory parameters for the
> init.ora
>
> Thanks for advice/help!
>
> best regards
> Martin Schenk

No, there isn't. This is logical as it heavily depends on how your users interact with the database. An OLTP system has other requirements than a DSS system. An application performing full table scans only (yes, those do exist) has different requirements than a system which is using indexes.
Basic guideline is the total SGA shouldn't exceed one third of physical memory.
As you don't specify the parameters you already know, nor a platform, nor a version, it is very difficult to provide anymore specific advice.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Jan 03 2002 - 06:18:59 CST