Re: Online Backup Doubt

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 06:53:31 +1100

Well, all the Control File trace file does is to list the physical locations of the data files. So when run, Oracle is able to run off to those locations, check the headers of the data files found there, and find the highest SCN it can. That must be the most recent part of the database, and everything else must be synchronised to it.

So then it creates the controlfile(s), and forces into the controlfile header the highest SCN previously found. And then, now we're in the mount state, it simply issues the 'recover database' command.

If you look at the trace script, all of that is there -the script even contains the 'recover database' bit for you. All you have to do is make sure you restore the various bits of your hot backup to the appropriate locations (ie, the ones mentioned in the script file itself) -or edit the script so that it points to the new locations you've chosen to restore to.

Regards

> > > Restoring a backup doesn't test anything, apart from your abilities to
issue
> > > appropriate restore commands. The real test comes when Oracle
proclaims
> > > that "file X is inconsistent and needs media recovery"... if you are,
at
> > > that point, unable to apply archives/redo to the file to make it
consistent,
> > > and can't thereafter issue the 'alter database open' command then
sure, the
> > > file was toast. But if you get the 'media recovery complete' message,
and
> > > are then able to open the database successfully, it would suggest the
file
> > > was fine.
> > >
> > > If you read my original reply again, you'll notice that the discussion
about
> > > when the tracefile backup of the controlfile is useful contained not
one
> > > mention of hot or cold backups. The question of whether to take the
trace
> > > version as opposed to the binary version backup is a matter of the
eventual
> > > use that can be made of each version during a recovery scenario.
Either
> > > method works fine hot or cold. The trace script is useful for those
rare
> > > occasions when all multiplexed versions of the controlfile are lost or
are
> > > corrupt; the binary backup is useful for when user errors result in a
> > > physical alteration to the database (such as inadvertently dropping a
> > > tablespace). You should do both.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > HJR
> > > --
> > > Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
> > >

> > > "Augustine Joseph" <kunjaathi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > your
> > database
Commonsense
> > would