REPOST: Re: What's difference between "hard parse" & "soft parse"?

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Dec 2001 12:20:26 -0800

James Morle's book Scaling Oracel8i has the best description. He defines 3 types of soft parses (pp279-80). Hard parse is easy.

Note that Cary Milsap doesn't like to use the phrase "soft parse":

***********begin quote****************

I try to avoid using the term "soft parse" at all, partly because the term
is undefined in the Oracle kernel (e.g., you don't see "parse count (soft)"
in v$statname). But mostly, I don't use the term because I think it disfocuses our attention a little bit. Instead, there are two things you
should look for: (1) too many hard parses (we all seem to agree on what that
means); and (2) too many parse calls. "Parse call" has a simple definition:
anytime an application executes a parse function call on the database server. Some parse calls become hard parses, and some don't. Because of
session_cached_cursors, some parse calls never quite "reach" the db server
in the expensive way that requires library cache latch acquisition, but my
research on how these things get counted is incomplete (e.g., is a cached
cursor counted as a "parse count (total)" or not?).
***********end quote****************

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

corvax-msk_at_yandex.ru (Corvax) wrote in message news:<ef61c6ff.0112280151.7a39d73c_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi, all!
> Could anybody tell, what is the difference between "hard parse" and
> "soft parse"?
> I mean, I would like to know what Oracle performs during "hard parse"
> and what Oracle perform during "soft parse" and how much "hard parse"
> more expensive than "soft parse".
>
> I would be very grateful to you if you would point me on Chapter (or
> any other places) in Oracle documentation.
>
> Thans in advance.

autocancel Received on Mon Dec 31 2001 - 14:20:26 CST