REPOST: Re: Oracle and SQL Server

From: Kendall <kendallwillets_at_yahoooo.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:31:05 -0800

In article <5KZX7.36613$Q66.129567_at_NewsReader>, "Garrick Bigwood" <garrickb_at_software360.com> wrote:

> Hello,

 Looking at the trace files one of the problems with
> Oracle seems to be the amount of physical writes done to datafiles and
> rollback files(also redo of course), when I look at the SQL Server trace
> files there does'nt to be any writing done.

Just to clarify, are you doing a COMMIT after each update? I don't know exactly how SQL server handles these, but you may be right about delayed i/o. A commit should generate some kind of write to disk.

Oracle only requires a write to the redo log on commit; any writes to datafiles are from cache flushing, or a checkpoint. If your SGA is too small you're obviously going to see more I/O. Check the SGA and SQL Server's cache size - they should be the same size for a fair test.

Also, how many indexes are on the table/column? Is the column NULL before update?

autocancel Received on Mon Dec 31 2001 - 12:31:05 CST