Re: Lost oracle database but have the datafiles

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 31 Dec 2001 04:55:21 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:<3c2f776d$0$2601$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Ha! I wondered if anyone would notice!!
>
> I got told off in one of my classes recently by one of the students for
> creating tables called HJR, HR1, HOWIE, and various egocentric variations.
> So, I've kind of taken the advice to heart, and whereas all my databases
> used to be called HJR816, HJR817, HJR901 and so on, now I just have DB1, DB2
> and DB3 -so you are quite right.... I'm not about to cross over to the dark
> side!

Yes, giving a names to databases and servers is quite difficult, because there are lot of them. It's like to be a husband in Orient with 50 wifes and 150 childs. Where I can get names for all of them ? :-)
My naming conventions for databases are TEST0 ... TEST9 (I know, not very creative) for ordinary test databases and STBD0 ... STBD9 (soon to be dead) for test databases using as crash && (sometimes) recovery scenarios platforms. Advantage is that I know not to using TESTx database for these purposes and that's important, because my only backup technique is saving of CREATE command scripts. Even bigger problem I have with servers, last one was named NEW, just because nothing more suitable come to my mind.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.