REPOST: Re: Deleting Archived Redo Logs

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 07:44:46 +1100

Judging by your sig, you can answer your own question.

There's no *technical* reason for retaining archives from prior to a successful backup. But paranoia (and plain commonsense) suggests that the unexpected can happen -in one case of my own experience, what should have been a simple restore job from the previous night's backup turned into a nightmare of having to restore from *three* backups ago -which couldn't have worked if I'd been too eager to delete archives.

Regards
HJR "dsmcd" <dsmcd_at_uswestmail.net> wrote in message news:Py%X7.9$EE.121608_at_news.uswest.net...
> Hello...
>
> Is there *ANY* reason for keeping archived redo logs older than the last
good
> cold backup?
>
> Actually, I'm thinking of a script to delete logs older than two weeks,
even
> though we cold backup nightly.
>
> Thx,
> D. (the paranoid) McD.

autocancel Received on Mon Dec 31 2001 - 14:44:46 CST