REPOST: Re: 8.1.7 - Can't connect to service name, can connect to SID

From: Chris Leonard <chris_at_databaseguy.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:15:47 -0600

Hi John,

You need to give TNSPING a target that matches what Oracle calls a "net service name." These are the names of the entries in you TNSNAMES.ORA file, if you are using TNSNAMES.ORA for name resolution. This is not the same thing as a "service name," also known as a "database service name." You can only TNSPING the name of the TNSNAMES.ORA entry. Again, I'm assuming you are using TNSNAMES *only*, but that's just to make the discussion clearer.

Here's an example. Assume you have the following in TNSNAMES.ORA:

ARBITRARY.NAME =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.0.0.15)(PORT = 1521))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVICE_NAME = ora35.nerdhaus)
      (INSTANCE_NAME = ora35)

    )
  )

Then you will be able to TNSPING to ARBITRARY.NAME, but not to ORA35 or ORA35.NERDHAUS. The SERVICE_NAME parameter just helps the client and listener distinguish between multiple instances which may listen at the same address, same protocol, same port, etc., but which will have different database service names. This makes the function of database service names pretty similar to the use of the older SID entries, at least for what you are doing.

I hope this helps!
Chris

Chris Leonard
MCSE, MCDBA, MCT, OCP, CIW
The Database Guy at PPI
http://www.propoint.com
Brainbench MVP for Oracle Admin
http://www.brainbench.com

"John Bossert" <jbossert_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:3C22D681.2080109_at_usa.net...
> Trying to learn the ins and outs of the 8.1.7 "service name" mechanism...
This is on Win2K Pro.

> I have set up a database "test.foo.com" with a SID of "test" - all pretty
vanilla, using the Net8
> assistant. I can tnsping "test" and connect without problem as
"scott/tiger_at_test".

> However, if I try these operations with "test.foo.com", I get "TNS-03505:
Failed to resolve name"

> I see nothing in the trace or log files. Anybody experienced (and solved)
this? TIA.

> --
> John Bossert
>

> In what concerns you much, do not think that you
> have companions: know that you are alone in the world.
>

> -- Henry David Thoreau

This message was cancelled from within Mozilla...not Received on Sun Dec 30 2001 - 16:15:47 CST