REPOST: Re: Online Backup Doubt

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:04:37 +1100

Restoring a backup doesn't test anything, apart from your abilities to issue appropriate restore commands. The real test comes when Oracle proclaims that "file X is inconsistent and needs media recovery"... if you are, at that point, unable to apply archives/redo to the file to make it consistent, and can't thereafter issue the 'alter database open' command then sure, the file was toast. But if you get the 'media recovery complete' message, and are then able to open the database successfully, it would suggest the file was fine.

If you read my original reply again, you'll notice that the discussion about when the tracefile backup of the controlfile is useful contained not one mention of hot or cold backups. The question of whether to take the trace version as opposed to the binary version backup is a matter of the eventual use that can be made of each version during a recovery scenario. Either method works fine hot or cold. The trace script is useful for those rare occasions when all multiplexed versions of the controlfile are lost or are corrupt; the binary backup is useful for when user errors result in a physical alteration to the database (such as inadvertently dropping a tablespace). You should do both.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

> > Comments below
> > HJR
> > --
> > Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
> > ===============================
> >

> > "Augustine Joseph" <kunjaathi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 1) For online backup is it mandatory that the 'backup controlfile' be
> > > executed at the end of the backup process. I mean after all the
> > > tablespacess are backed up.
> > >

> > Nothing is "mandatory". It's up to you whether you want a backup of
your
> > control file -which happens to be just as an intrinsic part of your
database
> > as the datafile/tablespaces you've carefully backed up. Commonsense
would
> > suggest that you *should* take a backup of it, though whther that's a
binary
> > backup or atrace file backup is more open to discussion. Personally,
I'd
> > recommend nightly trace file backups and weekly binary ones. The point
> > being is that the trace file version is an extremely easy way of
recovering
> > from total controlfile loss, but the binary version is useful if a
> > tablespace ever gets dropped.
> >
> > > 2) I've this statement in my unix script(Solaris)
> > >
> > > Alter tablespace AJAPP begin backup;
> > > host`cp /u01/datafiles/db/aj.dbf /bkp/datafiles/aj/aj.dbf`
> > > Alter tablespace AJAPP end backup;
> > >
> > > does the oracle waits the copy to be completed before proceeds with
> > > the 'alter' statement.
> >
> > I rather think it depends on Unix. Al I can tell you is that, on
Windows

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: Path: news.sol.net!spool0-nwblwi.newsops.execpc.com!newsfeeds.sol.net!news-out.visi.com!hermes.visi.com!newsfeed1.earthlink.net!newsfeed.earthlink.net!uunet!lax.uu.net!news.navix.net!u-n-c-a-n-c-e-l-l-e-r From: "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> Newsgroups: alt.config,comp.lang.c,comp.databases.oracle.server Subject: cmsg cancel <3c2f64e9$0$2599$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au> Control: cancel <3c2f64e9$0$2599$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au> Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:00:55 GMT Organization: Navix Internet Subscribers Lines: 2 Message-ID: <cancel.3c2f64e9$0$2599$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au> NNTP-Posting-Host: 166.102.15.34 X-Trace: iac5.navix.net 1009788737 26548 166.102.15.34 (31 Dec 2001 08:52:17 GMT) X-Complaints-To: abuse_at_navix.net NNTP-Posting-Date: 31 Dec 2001 08:52:17 GMT X-No-Archive: yes Comment: Anarchy! Fuck You! X-Commentary: I love NewsAgent 1.10, Sandblaster Build 74 (19 March 1999) and the Polaris Cancel Engine V. 6.1 X-Unacanc3l: yes This message was cancelled from within Mozilla...not